A Chinese flat iron restaurant in Los Angeles has had its Chinese menu banned.
The Lad’s Chinatown restaurant has been serving up a Chinese menu since it opened in December 2017.
Its owners are now demanding the ban be lifted after complaints that it is selling too many flat iron items.
But owners Daniel Kwon and his brother James said the ban will not make it any easier for them to sell the Chinese menu.
“We were just told by the restaurant, ‘We’ve got a problem with Chinese menu,'” said James Kwon, a Korean-American.
“And we’re like, ‘Okay, fine, but why is this happening?'”
He added that it’s hard to sell a menu that is so confusing for customers who have never been in China.
“The fact that they would ban us from selling Chinese menu, that’s pretty shocking,” James Kwan said.
“It’s kind of frustrating.
We’ve been here three years and we’ve never had a problem.
Why is it happening?”
They’re now suing the restaurant and the city of Los Angeles, claiming it violated their First Amendment rights.
In a statement released Thursday, the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office said it has no record of a case where a restaurant has violated the city’s ban.
“I think we need to be careful about what we say about food because it can get misinterpreted,” said Los Angeles city attorney Michael Bonner.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said he was not aware of any case of a restaurant that had been in violation of the ban.
He added that if the city is ever forced to do so, the city would work with the restaurant to come up with a solution.